Friday, July 4, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane, Part 2

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...
OK, so not true, but I am leaving tomorrow at 7:45 am to be at the bus stop at 8:15 so that I can have 15 minutes to say goodbye before the bus leaves at 8:30 to bring me to Paris, and the airport.

Everyone keeps asking me one of two questions : either "Are you excited to be leaving?" or "Are you excited to be going home?" The answer to one is "no," the answer to the other is "yes." I don't want to leave, but I'll be happy to arrive... does that make any sense? Not a problem if you don't get it; it's a tricky concept. Even I have trouble comprehending it sometimes. :)

But I think that anyone who has already been an exchange student gets what I mean. 10 months ago, I left my family, not knowing what to expect, not knowing how amazing, challenging, changing, + all adjectives this year would be. For these 10 months, I've lived with a family that I've grown to love and gone to school with people I now feel like I've known my whole life... and I don't want to leave them. They've become a part of my life, a part of who I am, and it's hard to let that go. Last night, as I said goodbye to my best friends from this year, I thought back on the day I said goodbye to my parents and my brother. In a way, last night was so much harder. I knew that I was going to see my parents again, but people here? I have no idea when I'll see them again.
On the other hand, it's true that I'll be SO happy to see my family and friends again. I'm going to go to friend's houses, spend time with my family... the first weekend I'm back, I'm excited to see my grandparents and to go back to church (where I'll see tons of people, including one of my sponsors, Gwen Donovan)... Then, life'll get hectic again, what with visiting colleges and going back up to work at camp.
AHHH mixed feelings. I guess I've gotten used to it this year, though. :)

So, I'm gonna sign off. Hope everyon's doing well.

-Catherine

1 comment:

ava said...

hi. im ava and basically i want to go to france also for my junior year and i cant decide between belgium and france. i guess it'd be cool if you took some time out maybe to tell me a few key things about your experience and what you recommend i do.
you can contact me here on blogspot or at jackandsally3724@aol.com. thanks

P.S. i read your first post and i read constantly too. great you're one of the few that appreciate books=)